MACDONOUGH MONUMENT

 

 

 

 

           

    

                                   

 

 

           

  

Macdonough Monument - commemorates the decisive victory of Commodore Thomas Macdonough in the Battle of Plattsburgh and Battle of Lake Champlain in the final naval engagement of the War of 1812.  The monument was designed by John Russell Pope and completed in 1926 from Indiana Limestone and is 135 feet high.  The plaque, mounted by the Battle of Plattsburgh Commission, was unveiled Sept. 11, 1964 after the 150th anniversary of the battle.  Each side of the base holds a plaque dedicated to Macdonough's ships, the EAGLE, PREBLE, TICONDEROGA and SARATOGA. Lieutenant Macdonough commanded the United States Navy forces on Lake Champlain from late 1812 to 1814.  As a result of the Battle of Plattsburgh, he was awarded a Congressional Gold Medal.  In 1936 Macdonough was commemorated on a postage stamp by the United States Postal Service

                            2011